It feels like forever since I posted, but I do actually have a good reason as to my tardiness. Vacation Bible School (Arctic Edge theme) has been going on at our church this week - oh my!When I was younger I remembered going to VBS and having a ball and then I grew up and helped teach for a few years at our small church in Kentucky. It has been a long time, but I thought I might be able to help. At first we didn't think that was possible as our church's VBS wasn't taking any children younger than 4 (our girlies are 3), but we found out the Sunday before it started that anyone teaching or volunteering to help during VBS could bring all their kids under the age of 4 and there would be a class/childcare provided. Yeah - I told the person in charge of VBS that I would be more than happy to help (what was I thinking...), but didn't want to teach as there would be NO WAY for me to prepare considering VBS started the next morning.
Day One - I was basically a runner all day (great way to get in some exercise) and that suited me just fine. I jumped in where needed and ran supplies back and forth across the church's property. I was "pooped" by the end of the day, but was glad that I was able to help.
Day Two - "We need you to teach 1st grade." WHAT???? Those were the first words uttered to me when I came into church on Tuesday morning. "We think you would make a great teacher (which I'm translating to "we are desperate and you seem like just the type of sucker that would do this" - ha) and there are WAY too many kids (over 40) in the one class we have going right now. We have to split them up." Oh my, oh my, oh my.
I always knew I did not want to be a teacher while in school. Both my parents were educators (now retired) and loved their careers, but I had no doubt in my mind that God did NOT want me to be a teacher.
God has one great sense of humor.
The 1st graders about killed me. I won't bore you with all the details, but I have even more respect for teachers of all grades now that I have endured even just this very short time "playing teacher". Mary (one of my best friends from college and a SUPERB elementary school teacher) - I have no clue how you do it and you are a SAINT!!!!!
Once I got my footing it actually ended up being a pretty good week, but I am exhausted. Not to get too preachy, but I am glad that there were lots of kids there that - from what I can tell - would have had no contact with God or any sort of church had we not had VBS as accessible as it was.
Fast forward to Day 5 - Friday - Final Day - Yeehaw! As a part of VBS, the kids have music time every day where our Director of Music and his two helpers teach the kids some really cute songs that have LOTS of hand and dance motions with them. Being the dork that I am, I jump right in and do all this stuff with them - it is kinda fun after all. Well - again - God has one great sense of humor - the Music Director comes up to me at the end of the day and asks if I would get up with him at church Sunday night (this is when we are having our VBS finale program) and do all the songs with him as one of his helpers will not be there. What????? He says that he can tell I have such a good time dancing and singing with the kids that I would be the perfect person for the job (again, they are desperate and I apparently have "sucker" written across my forehead). "Sure" comes out of my mouth and I immediately start looking around for the person that just said that. Oh - I SAID THAT! So now I will be performing Sunday night in front of everyone. Heaven help me - literally...
2 comments:
It sounds like you had a blast you SUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! I'm so glad I'm not the only sucker around!!!!! I really am laughing out loud right now! Hang in there girl! Love ya!
Sounds like you had a blast. How did the girls do?
Post a Comment