Friday, May 18, 2007

SPF: Framed

So Kristine has an interesting topic for this Friday's SPF - Framed. I debate the topic and then realized I know the perfect "frame" to present.

This is my DH's Grandfather's trumpet which "Papaw" played while in the military (he played it elsewhere I'm sure). DH inherited the trumpet in not-so-nice condition as it had been sitting in Papaw's attic/garage/shed (not sure which) for quite some time. A few Christmases ago I decided to take it out of our garage and do something memorable with it.

DH and his Papaw were VERY close. Papaw was the best man in our wedding which should give you an idea of how close they were. He was a wonderful man. Made me feel instantly welcomed to the family when I met him while DH and I were dating. There was no question as to why DH felt so close to him.

I took the VERY tarnished trumpet out of it's worn case and spent over a week trying to get it cleaned and polished. It was a true labor of love and I couldn't wait to give it to DH for Christmas. After polishing it to the best of my ability I had it professionally framed.

By far my favorite Christmas gift I've ever given.

4 comments:

san said...

Uh, what a cool thing to frame :)

Happy SPF and I played, too.

tommie said...

that is so thoughtful, I bet he appreciated it!

I played too...happy friday

Wendy said...

Very nice! I love framing "things" and hanging them up.

I played too!

Lavender said...

What a cool idea! Looks great too!
I played too - Happy SPF!