Monday, August 06, 2007

Popsicle tongues and gorging on ice cream

As I've been a slacker in blogging the past SEVERAL days, I thought I had better provide a good story and some pictures.

Yesterday we went to the Martha O'Bryan Center's Ice Cream Crankin' in the Brentwood area near Nashville. We've been the past several years (other than the one year they decided not to have it - I'm still suffering from ice cream withdrawals from that year) and have had a great time. This year was a bit different.

1. The admission price was $8 per person - including our 4-year-old kids. Holy crap! That is one expensive outing for us. I know it all goes to charity, but geez - give us poor people a break. The fee used to be $5 per person and kids under a certain age were free. Not anymore folks. "Welcome to our fundraiser - give us your wallet."

2. The setup was different. We were used to a certain "flow" to our ice cream indulgence, but we were thrown off our dairy axis on this one. Luckily, my hubby's keen ice cream instincts led him right to all the ice cream stations. His goal is to try every ice cream possible. He fell short this time - slacker!

3. The heat! Oh, the heat! I felt the sweat running down my back the minute we got out of the van (lovely visual - I know). It was right at 100 degrees. Nothing like a field full of ice cream on a scorching hot day. I literally thought I was going to ignite. This is not really different from other years as the event is always in August, but the older I get - the more susceptible I am to heat. Must mean I'm getting close to the "hot flash" stage of my life. Lovely.

The best part of the day was actually the popsicles. Purity Dairy is the main sponsor of this event and they bring out tons of popsicles. Plus, there is a Mayoral election run-off going on and both candidates had plenty of popsicles to pass out. Not sure what it is about popsicles, but they were WAY more refreshing than all that sweet, sticky ice cream being passed around. And to prove that we all enjoyed our fair share of popsicles, here are a few pics of those family members that joined us for the afternoon's activities. Gene Simmons - eat your heart out!

Ash (L) & Anna (R) after their 3rd popsicle.


Uncle Travis & Yayoi


Nana & Pappy

No comments: