Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Once More - With Feeling

We went to the zoo because it is just gorgeous in Nashville today - 70 degrees and sunny. I packed a picnic lunch and we headed out the door bright and early to catch all the animals in their caged glory.

The day started off pretty well with a bit more whining than I usually am willing to put up with, but it was bearable. Anyway, the girls - as usual - spot the merry-go-round in the distance as we make our way to the elephant/giraffe exhibit. Unfortunately I could not use my standard, "oh shoot - it doesn't seem to be working," statement as the sucker was actually moving - darn zoo staff! Now - before I proceed - I am not against merry-go-rounds, but I am against the zoo extorting $2 per child per ride from parents. Yep - $2 to ride a merry-go-round that - even though very cute with wonderfully crafted animals in place of the typical horses - only goes around and around for maybe 2 minutes. NO KIDDING! I timed it!

Well, the nice extortionist zoo guy running the money grubbing machine said, "You'll have to pick two animals side-by-side for them to ride so you can stand between them". SAY WHAT?!? Do you realize you are talking to the mother of twin girls that - although they look exactly alike - have as much in common as George Bush and Hillary Clinton and the possibility of them choosing two animals together is slim to none. So we proceed to search for two animals next to each other. All the while I'm getting dirty looks from the Zoo Merry-Go-Round Nazi because we can't find the perfect animals. So he decides to come "help" me - yeah, right. He makes suggestions on animals and the girls shoot him down quickly each time. Then he just looks at me and rolls his eyes.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!

I chose this as the prime opportunity to go postal on said Zoo Nazi and tell him that he is insane if he thinks two 4-year-old girls are going to instantly choose to ride next to each other on the first animals suggested to them - especially when there are "100 animals to choose from". To this he says, "We only have 33 animals on this ride - not 100." WHAT?!? Yes - because that is the issue here - exactly how many animals you have to choose from. I finally told him to get back to his Zoo Nazi station and that I would deal with it. I found a lion and an elephant close to each other and told the Zoo Nazi to "start 'er up". Luckily, there was only one other mother and her - of course - "perfect" child riding the merry-go-round at the time. She smiled at me knowingly and the ride proceeded to move - for a whole 2 minutes. Unbelievable!

The rest of the morning went well and we were making our way to the exit so we could have our picnic lunch. Now for a bit of background information....

Our girls have become quite the little performers lately. They love to sing and dance and re-enact every scene they can remember from all the movies they've seen. It is quite entertaining, but I think today took thecake

Having said that, we were making our way to the exit (still quite far from it) and the girls decide to start singing Hakuna Matata from the Lion King - loudly. I'm all for singing so I joined in and figured they can't throw us out - we're leaving - ha! Here is the actual dialogue....

Anna: "It means no worries, for the rest of your day.....Take it Mommy!"

Take it Mommy?!? Is this child sneaking out after we put her to bed to sing in some seedy night club? Is she doing performances on Broadway we are unaware of? I absolutely cracked up, but decided if I can beat 'em - join 'em. So the rest of the walk out of the zoo went like this...

Mommy: "It's a problem free, philosophy......Take it Ashlyn!"

Ashlyn: "Hakuna Matata"

All 3 of us dancing while we're singing: "Hakuna Matata Hakuna Matata Hakuna Matata"

And that's all she wrote folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! You are turning into me!!! However, I would stomp on his head!! That's a man for you, wants everything to be decided swiftly and to HIS liking (Chris). My girls should be able to take however long they want to decide. Next time take the $2 they got in the mail to ride.

Anonymous said...

So funny. What, is there some sort of performance Cook gene?? I swear, both my kids have it and it's definitely not from me.

Courtney said...

Oh my! That sounds EXACTLY like something I would have done! Am I rubbing off on you just a bit?!? Ha! Ha! Ha! I wish I could've been there!