Yesterday. Hot day. VERY hot day - 92 degrees and major humidity. Decided to go to the YMCA pool. We've been several times before - no big deal.
Actually - BIG DEAL!
Had a good time throughout the morning hours. Ate our "brought from home, I'm a cheap mom not willing to pay for a $2 concession stand soy burger made by teenagers who probably spit on the food", picnic lunch. As we made our way back to our spot at the pool we saw some friends - mom & 2 daughters. One of the girls was in Anna's preschool class and the three are big buds now. They played for the next hour - no big issues.
Side note - have been visiting a new church for a few months now. Already knew a couple people that went there - saw one of them at the pool.
This nice lady I already knew that attended this church introduced me to two other very nice ladies that were at the pool with their well-behaved critters as well. We were chatting a bit and I found out that two of the three would be the girls' Sunday School teachers (we haven't made it to Sunday School yet). Great! I already felt more comfortable about our choice regarding this church. Then it hit the fan!
The girls were tired. I could see it. And when tired hits, whining begins. So - at the next break I told the girls we would be leaving.
Holy Crap!
The girls had a melt down. I mean whining, crying, hanging onto my legs, towels swinging through the air melt down. Ashlyn even takes off running to the pool and jumps in (kiddie pool) trying to evade my grasp. And - let me remind you - we are sitting RIGHT NEXT TO the two women that will be their Sunday School teachers.
Ladies - let me introduce you to my daughters (who are now doing fantastic reenactments of the spinning head scene in Exorcist). The pleasant (fake) smiles on their face were polite, but unnecessary. They had every right to show the fear that was surely in their minds of having these two kreachers in their class. I can tell you my face was showing NO sign of happiness.
So - after gathering up the 3 HUGE bags of stuff we carried with us and doing all but dragging my children behind me - we made it out of the pool and out of the Y into the van where they fell asleep before I even got the key in the ignition. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?
I was SO mad and mortified that I don't think I even breathed until I got home. And - of course - the girls were able to get a 10 minute power nap on the way home so they were ready to play the rest of the afternoon with NO break for me. We had a discussion about what happened at the pool and then had the same discussion when Daddy got home. We discussed that this will NOT happen again, but if it does I will drag them by their toenails all the way out the door and we will NEVER go back.
Now I can only hope the Sunday School teachers will develop some sort of amnesia over yesterday's events. We are actually heading back to the pool today as we had made plans with another POTATO mom, so we'll see how it goes and if the girls come back with all their toenails in tact. We'll see...
1 comment:
Kids are such fun. ;)
Post a Comment