Anyway...
I have LOTS to post about, but I just keep waiting til I have the perfect amount of time. That just ain't gonna happin' folks, so you are going to get bits and pieces of what has been going on the last two weeks in various posts over the next couple days. Yes - I'm sure you will be glued to your computer to find out what happens next.
Let's get this started then...
_________________________________________________
Vacation Bible School was great. I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it, but it was well worth it.
You won't hear me get on a soapbox about religion much as I feel that is a very personal decision. I am always more than happy to talk to someone about my faith if the topic comes up in conversation, but I just can't bring myself to strike up a conversation about religion just out of the blue. I will say that it was great seeing so many kids there (over 1,000) and knowing that many of them never would have known about God - or even seen the inside of a church - if they hadn't come to VBS.
My room decorations were great (if I do say so myself)! I know I've already posted pics of my door, but the rest of the room looked good too. Here are a few pics:
And the kids in my class were hysterical. I had younger "5's". I didn't have my girls as they do much better when they aren't in a classroom with me. Not to mention that I would probably run from the room screaming daily. There were a couple kids in my class I could have taken home with me. It was quite a challenge as I DO NOT consider myself a good teacher, but I made sure we all learned about God & Jesus while also having a good time.
Will I do it again? Absolutely, but I may take on a different role as I really do feel there are others in our church that would probably be better teachers.
_________________________________________________
And since I brought up "body-builders", I just have to tell you about this guy at our YMCA. He absolutely cracks me up. When not in his TIGHT black swimming shorts (I'm talking had-to-jump-off-the-top-of-the-building-to-get-into-the-suckers TIGHT), he is dressed in full body-builder garb (stretchy "Hammer" pants, weight-lifting belt, black wife-beater tank) with his hair styled just like Elvis. Got that image in your head yet? Good.Well "Pelvis" (my pet name for him) likes to come to the Y's outdoor pool and show off this body of his, but in a very interesting way. Our Y has two misters located at two corners of the pool's deck area. They spray cool mist on Y guests and it is a nice thing to walk through if you want to cool off, but don't want to take the plunge into the pool just yet.
Pelvis chooses this area to flex his muscles. I'm talking full bodybuilder contest poses which probably go with the music that is floating along in Pelvis' head (along with those voices that tell Pelvis that it is a good idea for him to be doing this at 10:30am on a Tuesday in front of all kinds of kids and their mothers). One pose literally made me laugh out loud at him one day. He stood facing the corner of the brick walls with his butt stuck out toward the crowd. Obviously, we all should have just started clapping and maybe he would have stopped.
I have heard that there have been MANY complaints about Pelvis from those that are uncomfortable with his "performances". While it is a bit odd for him to be doing these things, I have never felt threatened by him or felt that he is truly doing any offensive. I've also not ever seen him approach any children, but I can see where he might make others a bit leery. I'm just hoping he will start singing "hunka, hunka burnin' love" while doing those poses one day.
_________________________________________________
My parents came to town last week for a few days and we had a great time. We went to the Farmer's Market and Centennial Park to feed the ducks (Flickr pics on the right side of the blog). The girls also helped Grandma make cupcakes for Grandpa's birthday. Here are a few pics from then:
________________________________________________
My cousin-in-law (is that right? She's my husband's first cousin), Julie, has trekked off to Vietnam again. This girl is CRAZY smart - at least we think she is as she has been in school for almost 20 years straight now and we think she has a doctorate in foreign languages, education and possibly podiatry. I'm pretty sure she hasn't had an official "job" yet. (She's a great sport to all our teasing and I'm hoping she won't hurt me the next time we see her - shoot - she's in Vietnam - I ain't scared!)
I liked Julie the minute I met her and - even though we aren't in the same city much - when we do get together she and I seem to be the only ones that get certain jokes. One time, the whole family (Chris' Dad's side) was together along with some family friends for a dinner provided by the church (this was after a funeral of a dear family member). There were a few of us standing around oohing and aahing over a new baby boy. Someone asked the baby's name and the mother said, "Xander". Almost on cue, both Julie and I made a comment that it was "Xander? Like the Xander in Buffy the Vampire Slayer?" Of course, everyone threw us a look like we were apparently the devil-worshiping members of the family, but we shared a giggle and that was enough entertainment for us.
So, feel free to pay her blog a visit as she is off to Vietnam and FAR from home.
________________________________________________
I have MANY more things to post about - including our Father's Day Deliverance Excursion and my Veg-Out 24-hour vacation coming up next week. Stay tuned. I just know you'll be glued to your seats!
No comments:
Post a Comment