Saturday, July 05, 2008

4th Fireworks Recap

We had a great time last night and I just have a few things to share with along with some commentary on a few of the night's events. I'll be kind - yeah, right - no I won't.

We like to go to a neighboring city's fireworks instead of the big Nashville fireworks. They are closer to us and there seem to be less drunkards roaming around. Now the freak level? Well, that's still pretty high no matter what fireworks you attend. I'm no fashionist, but what the heck are people thinking when they walk out the door in what they have on? Craziness.

Of course, there were lots of activities for the kiddies as we had to entertain them somehow for the the three hours prior to the fireworks starting - trying to find four-leaf clovers in the 3x3 parking lot median only cuts it for about 5 minutes.

We did a picnic in the back of my newly inside-washed, carpets-all-clean van (am I braggin? Heck yeah! I felt like Cinderella scrubbing those stupid floorboards). Then we headed toward the freak show, I mean the fun activities.

Step 1: Bouncy thingy. Always a staple at any outdoor event involving children. Would love to install one of these things in the house!


Step 2: More bouncy thingies. Some idiot decided having water activities might be fun - a dunking booth, a misting tent, a few other moronic choices. These water activities wouldn't have been so bad, but when you let soaking wet kiddies then get on dry bouncy thingies then it makes a HUGE mess. Luckily, a local church kept the wet kiddies off their bouncy thingies (they literally had a "bouncer" - ironic, huh? - keep those we critters away).

Step 3: Carnie food. We only enjoyed the popcorn, snocones and popsicles, but those ears of corn drenched in - what I'm sure was fat-free - butter, looked YUMMY!!!!!

Step 4: Listen to the bands. Apparently it was American Idol reject night at our fireworks. I kept hearing, "(Insert random name here) was the 18th finalist in American Idol this year!" or "Billy Jo Bob made it all the way to the LA tryouts! Let's give him a big round of applause!" or "Paula Lee watched all 23 episodes of this season's American Idol - she says she can sing - let's give her a shot!" Actually, several of the singers we heard were quite good.

Step 4: Find our car and get ready for the fireworks. The girls and I made brownies yesterday morning, so this was the treat for making it back to the van. Uncle Travis & Aunt Yayoi had parked beside us and we were glad they made it back too, so we rewarded them with brownies as well. They are such cute little newlyweds!

Step 5: Sit back and enjoy!


We had a really good time and will definitely do it again. We've been the last 3 years with the girls and they love it.

1 comment:

Angi said...

Great pictures! We went to fireworks on that Friday - got rained out 20 min. before they were to start. Went Saturday - same darn thing! It just wasn't meant to be this year . . . .