You see - the girls are at their grandparents' house in Kentucky this week. The girls and I drove the 5 1/2 hours to get there on Sunday wherein Ash asked after about 20 minutes, "How much longer Mommy?" mm-hmm... It wasn't too bad of a trip though.
I used to go to each set of my grandparents' houses in the summer around the time I was 5 too. I thought it was SO much fun and such a treat for my parents to let me go.
Yeah, right!
Now I know that my parents were totally thrilled about me spending those two weeks away as well. Just imagine all they were able to get done around the house without having to entertain or discipline me. Well, let's be honest, how hard could it have been to have me as a daughter? I mean, I'm perfect. Right Mom? Mom? Dad? Hellooooooo....anybody there?
We made it Chez' Grandma & Grandpa's without killing each other and I left Tuesday morning to head back home. I'll admit I was a bit sad leaving them behind, but I knew we would all be able to "Do" some things that really needed to be done: I would be able to "Do" stuff around the house that is a bit hard to accomplish with two 5-year-old girlies around and they would be able to spend some wonderful quality time with their grandparents. The girls will be back in one week and I have a two page list of "Do" items! I'll be updating this blog with my "Do" item checklist each day, so be sure to check back as that will be exciting reading material, let me tell ya!
Now - two funny things that I just have to comment on regarding my trip to Maysberry (my affectionate name for my hometown).
First - there is this house in my parents' subdivision with owners that have a strong affection for yawn ornaments. I'm talking to the extent that I would not at all be surprised to see their yard covered in pink plastic flamingos one day. Anyway, I have always wanted to steal - ok, not really steal - but at least hide one of the MANY yawn critters just to see if they would even notice. It has really become a pet-peeve of mine to pull into the subdivision and see the things in that yard. I swear those little gnomes keep calling me, "Save me Shelley! Take me to greener pastures or just get me a job with Travelocity!"
As I drove into the subdivision this time (and I haven't been home for over a year as my parents have been traveling) I noticed a new yard critter. hmmm....hadn't a tree been there last time I was home. Yep - I confirmed it with my parents and that tree had been struck by lightening (I'm sure it was God trying to put one of the other gnomes out of its misery) and the owners had cut it down. And what goes better on a tree stump than this...
I truly have no words, but I am willing to pay whatever is in my change section of my wallet (3 quarters, a nickle, 25 pennies and some Chuck E. Cheese tokens) to anyone willing to snatch this demented bear from it's perch and bring it to me! Bwah, ha, ha, ha......
The other "funny" event that happened was as I was stopped at one of the local gas stations on the way out of town. I walked in to see three (of the maybe 5 total) policemen in my hometown drinking coffee and eating doughnuts (I swear I'm not making this up) debating over what road each of them would be monitoring that morning. It was all I could do to make it out of there with my beloved Diet Coke without laughing my head off. It was truly like watching an episode of Andy Griffith and listening to a conversation between Andy and Barney. Crack me up!
5 comments:
Shelley,
Too funny. Love the picture.
I'm jealous of your free time. Can't wait to read about all that you "do"!
Hey! At least Maysville has police. Manchester has one sometimes and sometimes they have none. Everybody for themselves!!!!
One of the last times we drove into KY to see Bill's g'ma B. we stopped at a gas station. We were the only non-pick up truck. All the trucks were American and quite beat up. KY is a very different place. You are SO LUCKY!!! If we were closer and my FIL weren't a workaholic I'd totally drop my kids off at their place. You should totally post that pic of you and Bill at G'ma Cooks where you look like twins. So cute!!
Shelley? Really? With an EY at the end? Do people drive you nuts when they spell it wrong? My mom thought she was being "creative." Whatever, mom.
Those Travelocity gnomes get a ton of press in the Amazing Race. You should let those hometown lawn critters know. They might want to get in on the action.
I was just sitting here thinking about one word to describe a whole year. How about waitaminutestopistheyearoveralready?
Too Funny! that is crazy about the yard!
Post a Comment