Tuesday, July 29, 2008

These AREN'T just some of my favorite things...

When my mother called me up a few weeks ago and told me she was on a cleaning frenzy and going through all their stuff in the house and attic I thought, "Good for her". I'm all about getting rid of things that just aren't usable anymore. When she told me, "I'm going to send you some of your things we found" I thought, "Hey, that might be fun to go through some of my old childhood things" (before I hurl them into the trash or sell them on ebay).

However...

When she sent me three boxes of - well - let me just show you. Apparently my recollection of "my" items and her recollection of "my" items are VERY different!

Ah, yes - I have fond memories of playing with this lovely outlet cover. Obviously the sharp edges and pointy wings were no much for my toddler safety skills. Seriously? I'm pretty sure this isn't mine.


Hmmm...is it a cutting board (often used by children, of course)? Is it an unfinished wall plaque? Is it - hey, wait - is that my uncle's name written in pencil on it? Pretty sure it isn't mine.

I'm not saying I was never a victim of a fashion taboo, but I assure you this purse was never a part of my wardrobe. My style was more Madonna meets Molly Ringwald.

Is it just me, or does this plaque say, "Mr. Cook"? And does the bottom part say "Seniors '74"? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was 2 years old then - not much into plaques - especially ones that were for my Dad. Nice try sneakin' that one into the box Dad.


I'm seeing a trend here. That would be "Coach Cook" at the top of that. In 1987 I was 15 and a high school cheerleader - NOT a "Coach".

This is probably one of my favorites. It is homemade bookends. I know this won't come as a shock, but those are not my initials. Hmmm...mom? Aren't those your initials before you were married? Yeah, I wasn't around before you were married...unless there's something you need to tell me...so this isn't mine.

The above are all items out of the first box I went through. I haven't even touched the other two and - frankly - I'm a bit scared about it.

And for you Mom? Just wait...I'll sneak some of these things back into your house somehow. You won't know when...and you won't know how....but.....bwah, ha, ha, ha, ha...

6 comments:

Mom said...

For the record......your dad found these boxes and said, "these are Shelley's." I 'assumed' that he knew what was in them! After 38 years, you'd think I would know better. I wish I had been there when you opened the box and found this stuff! Please hold onto these items.....we want them!! Well, maybe not the red purse! What was I thinking!!! Mom

Jumpin' On My Last Nerve said...

mmmm,hmmm...likely story Mom. Just wait til you see the box "goodies" I'll be bringing to your house next time.

Courtney said...

I laughed so hard that I'm crying and now I have to use the bathroom! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I meant to tell you that I have a bunch of boxes that belong to Chris. Yeah, their his. I will bring them to your house on Friday. Nothing is returnable!

Mary Bernard said...

Hilarious! I can so relate.

Angi said...

My MIL does that to me all the time - offers me her old "stuff" - which would never fit my "decor". I hate having to turn her down - but otherwise I'd have to display them!