Saturday, December 15, 2007

On the 11th Day of Christmas (one day late - again)

Dang it! I had the best intentions to do another post yesterday to catch me up to the right day of Christmas - oh well. Just deal with it!

So, do you know what this is...


One of my most vivid Christmas memories was helping my Grandma Cook (my Dad's mother) make Christmas candy and cookies. She was an amazing cook and loved putting together goodies for friends and family. She used to make these "haystacks" and I always thought they were neat looking - not like all the other cookies all decorated and pretty. They were messy - perfect for a little kid to help make.

And that is what I did this year. My girls and I made these yesterday. Even the smell of the butterscotch melting brought back such wonderful memories with my Grandma.

She was quite a character and I miss her so much. I hate that she was never able to see the girls. On my last visit to her in the hospital, I just knew I wouldn't be seeing her again. I also had a "feeling" I was pregnant. I was right on both counts.

So these "haystacks" we made are dedicated to her. "Cookie" was her nickname - quite appropriate.

P.S. I wasn't able to complete one of her traditions associated with making holiday goodies - that would be accidentally sticking one of my breasts into the batter by mistake. She used to do it frequently. Let's just say my Grandma Cook was quite well endowed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHA! I never heard the one about the boobie batter. So funny. I'll have to bring that up this year. Shouldn't we all be so lucky? That's very Mrs. Doubtfire. I just have a feeling that she can see her two granddaughters and I can picture her giggle as you found out there were two.